Conflict of Interest policy, 1 March 2012 draft

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Mar 1 21:41:23 EST 2012

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 06:24:20PM -0500, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:

> if a PLC Person [...] wish[es] to be considered a candidate to fulfill
> the funded software development contract, that PLC Person has a conflict
> of interest and must recuse herself or himself from the proposal drafting
> process

Can a non-PLC person help put together the draft?

If so, can that non-PLC person apply to do the proposed task?

Also, it seems not impossible that between policy writing starting and
the vote being made (which could perhaps be of the order of months),
that a PLC person may gain a conflict of interest (e.g. be hired by a
company that may want to bid on the proposal).

> and abstain from any vote to approve that proposal.

Of course.

> ** *Suggested Compensation.* The PLC must provide Conservancy's
> Executive Director (or designee) with a suggested compensation (converted
> into an hourly wage) for the software developer to be retained to
> fulfill the funded contract.

I am unclear what you want exactly. Do you just want an hourly wage?
Do you want a fixed cost for the work, divided by an estimated number of
hours that it will take? Are you happy with either?

Can the PLC talk to potential candidates to work out what it would be
likely to cost? Can those potential candidates be PLC people?

Does it need to be in USD?

> ** *Conservancy Retains Right to Request Competitive Bids.* PLCs
> acknowledge that Conservancy retains the right to ask for bids from
> software developers in addition to PLC Person to fulfill a given contract.
> Should that instance arise, Conservancy's Executive Director (or designee)
> will consult with the PLC to select the candidate best suited to fulfill
> the contract within the budget allotted.

In the (unlikely, I hope!) event that the PLC disagrees with the
Conservancy on the competency of an alternative candidate, the PLC can
choose not to go ahead with the project, I assume?

> * *Community Members Cannot Direct Funds.* Community Members
> are free to offer suggestions and engage in open dialogue with PLC,
> key developers regarding a Project's technical direction.

That's a bit abstract for me. Is it intended to clarify that a community
member could, for example, tell a PLC "I think it would be a good idea
for your project to spend money on X. Oh, and by the way, we would be
willing to be hired to do it."?

If so, could a PLC person do the same?

> == Exhibit B: Project Leadership Committee Conflict Disclosure Form

Do we send this in electronically, or physically?

> Each volunteer, academic and/or industry professional that serves
> on a Conservancy Member Project's Project Leadership Committee (PLC)
> have a duty to act in the best interests of his or her Project when
> making decisions about the Project's technical direction. Every committee
> member must also abide by state and federal laws associated with non-profit

Is "state" the state that SFC is registered in?
"Federal" is USA, I assume.

> Employer (if student or self-employed, please indicate): +++________________________________+++

Do you have to do another form if this changes during the year?

Thanks
Ian