Suggested Compensation (was Re: Conflict of Interest policy, 1 March 2012 draft)

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Mar 5 06:59:12 EST 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 02:44:50PM -0500, Tony Sebro wrote:

> I should note that Bradley and I will scrutinize any proposed
> compensation package that can't be converted to an hourly wage, as
> the IRS discourages non-profits from issuing incentive- or
> commission-based contracts.

I fear I may be going off-topic here, but do you mean that you (and/or
the IRS) would prefer to offer "$100 / hour to work on X" than "$5000 to
implement X"?

For a project with $6000 in the bank, the latter seems a lot less risky
to me. The former could leave you with $0 in the bank and an X
half-completed.

> >Can the PLC talk to potential candidates to work out what it would be
> >likely to cost? Can those potential candidates be PLC people?
> As it says later in the policy:
> "PLCs must not engage in any pre-negotiation with prospective
> contractors - including PLC Persons - beyond collecting the terms of
> the developer(s)' bid."

Can you give me an example of a forbidden pre-negotiation please?

Thanks
Ian