COI: non-PLC/Conservancy people and software development contract drafting

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at sfconservancy.org
Tue Mar 6 09:30:18 EST 2012

Ian Lynagh wrote at 11:11 (EST) on Monday:
> Well, it means that if there is a project that you want to see happen,
> and that you would be the obvious person to (be paid to) implement it,
> then you are disadvantaged by being a PLC person.

Yes, that much is indeed true.  "With great power comes great
responsibility", as it were. :) If you get to influence decisions about
how money is spent, there have to be checks and balances on that power.

> You'd have to find someone else willing to spend the time on writing a
> proposal for the project - and that other person may not be able to
> write the proposal as easily/quickly as you.

Well, Conservancy can always help with the drafting (and we have, in
cases where there are conflicts and a small PLC).

> Although I guess one could always step down the day before?

True enough.

> (And I guess there's also theoretically nothing to stop them being
> reappointed the day after, although such rule side-stepping would
> presumably be frowned upon!)

Well, I think Conservancy would take issue with them rejoining the PLC
until the contract was complete.  But, the general idea of your solution
is reasonable: someone could leave the PLC, help write up and have a
contract with Conservancy and rejoin the PLC after all was done.
--
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director, Software Freedom Conservancy