A gap in the policy - PLC vs Conservancy

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 12 04:17:39 EST 2015

On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 11:05 -0500, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote at 05:18 (EST):
> > For example, without specific prior authorization, flights from NZ,
> > except to Australia, are essentially prohibited.
>
> This is a known bug, for sure.  I'd been hoping someone would propose a
> patch that flights across the Pacific and/or that cross two oceans, the
> "auto-approved" price is increased.  If no one proposed that, I'll
> likely do it when the tuit comes along, but I'd love if someone else
> would do the work and create a gitorious merge request for it. :)

> So, given that, I'm open to suggestions on how to improve the process.
> More thoughts, anyone?

My concern is that the time spent trying to get travellers to adhere to
the finer details of the policy, often finally paying similar amounts in
any case, and already approved out of the project budget should be
better spent on other matters.  Could we pare it back to be less
proscriptive, focusing more on meeting the budget approved by the PLC
and less on particular proscriptive steps and sub-limits?

I've attached some suggested amendments, but there are still too many
limits and sub-limits.  Why can't a PLC approve, from it's own budget,
the fees of a relevant conference? - What do we gain by having a $100 or
(as I suggest) $200 sub-limit here, for example.

An additional issue is that the projected Representative isn't well
defined, nor is my new role of the projected delegated travel approver.
We really should define those, and give that person more of the
discretion.

What I don't understand is how much of the policy is required to meet
the tax codes, and how much of it is trying to set proscriptive
guidelines designed to strictly minimise financial costs.

That is, given that the Conservancy Executive Director can apparently
approve anything, so I can suggest a more reasonable middle ground, how
much could the SFC pare this back and still comply with tax law?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett