Idea for change: handling different airports.

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at sfconservancy.org
Mon May 8 14:50:33 UTC 2017

I went to FOSDEM 2017 (as many Conservancy folks did!), and I just finished
my reimbursement request (if you didn't do yours yet, it is probably too
late, I just barely made the 90-day mark yesterday ;), and was reminded of
something interesting:

I had discovered that it was much cheaper from my home airport to fly into
AMS and take the train from AMS->Brussels, rather than flying into BRU.

While I don't think the policy should demand that travelers spend time
searching nearby airports and checking train prices, I do think we should
add two things to the police:

  * Encourage travelers as a cost-saving measure to consider the
    possibility.

  * Confirm that if travelers book a flight/ground-transport combo instead
    of just a flight, that the budget for all of it together is the budget
    of the original flight.

Do folks like this idea?

I've not proposed a patch yet because it's trickier than it looks.  The
existing policy doesn't really contemplate combo long-haul methods of
travel, and it should include things like -- as sometimes happens in the
USA -- flying into a further-away airport and renting a car can sometimes be
cheaper.

But, if folks seem to like this idea, I'll try to draft something up
eventually (although at low priority, so I may not come back to this thread
for a while ;)
--
Bradley M. Kuhn
Distinguished Technologist of Software Freedom Conservancy