Clarification Only: Proposal: currency rate consistency fix

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 19 21:45:57 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-03-19 at 12:59 -0700, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> The attached patch, also found in a pull request at:
>   https://k.sfconservancy.org/policies/pull-request/10/_/fix-currency-rate-details
>
> is a simple clarification of the currency rate policy that is already in
> place.  It *is not* a policy change; just a fix to text for a policy already
> changed back in August of last year.
>
> I ask that Brett merge it to master in a few days if there are no concerns
> or changes.

I would note that this means the concervancy won't pay the FX fee
hidden in the margin on the credit card conversion rate.  It is usually
1-2% worse than the 'middle' rate found on online sites and then you
add the 2% 'overseas transaction' fee.

This actually just gives the incentive to use the expensive 'dynamic
currency conversion' thing on offer by many businesses and hotels
(which gives an even worse rate) as that will give you an invoice in
your home currency.

So, be careful what you wish for here.  I would have really expected to
get the NZD amount from the bottom line on my credit card statement as
that is what it actually costs me.

(Thankfully I have a great employer who does that and covers me for
Samba conferences, so I'm not out of pocket either way here).

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
https://samba.org/~abartlet/