Proposal: currency rate consistency fix (might be perceived as policy change)

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at sfconservancy.org
Wed Mar 21 17:42:07 UTC 2018

Brett Smith wrote at 08:43 (PDT):
> Whether or not it was the intention, I think it’s possible and reasonable
> to read the 2014-06 change as drawing a distinction between reimbursing
> credit card rates, and reimbursing credit card fees.

We've definitely interpreted the policy since 2014-06 to mean that we don't
reimburse *any form of currency costs* separately, and only consider the
receipt as given at time of payment -- in the foreign currency -- and use
the published rates.  Since 2014-06, any costs associated beyond that,
however denominated, all were part of M&IE.

The two goals here are (a) to save travelers from having to give us two
documents for every non-native currency transaction: the "real receipt"
*and* the credit card statement, and (b) to limit the document processing on
our end.  Before this change, we had double the amount of work for every
non-native currency transaction, which is why we made the change.

I think given the confusion Brett identified, that I agree we should have
this change approved by Conservancy Board of Directors -- just in case some
feel it is a policy change in disguise.

Given that ther was clearly confusion here, are there other changes that
are needed elsewhere in the document that make this issue abundantly clear?
If so, I'd appreciate if people would propose them.
--
Bradley M. Kuhn
Distinguished Technologist of Software Freedom Conservancy