Business/First class airfare tickets policy.

Bdale Garbee bdale at gag.com
Thu Feb 14 03:40:42 UTC 2019

"Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn at sfconservancy.org> writes:

> In the case we are
> currently facing, the traveler was aware of the policy and simply 'assumed'
> that they would be reimbursed at the full flight-budget amount from the
> economy flight search.

By "full flight-budget amount", do you mean "the least expensive fare
avaailable from multiple airlines for the dates you need to travel" plus
$100?

If so, I don't really understand what the problem is.  If a traveler is
willing to pony up out of their own pocket for the difference in fare to
fly in a higher class, I can easily interpret that as "putting more skin
in the game" just as easily as an abuse.

> I am uncomfortable with an "auto-max-out budget" in this situation.

This really makes me question my assumption of what a "full
flight-budget amount" is, since I can't see any reason to get worked up
over which end of a $100 pricing window someone books in?

> One idea I had is that we could have a short-circuit rule added to the
> policy that would state that (for example) exactly *one-half* the flight
> budget will be paid if the budget is exceeded without required preapproval
> before booking.

If the only element of failure to acquire preapproval is a traveler
spending their own money to fly in a higher class of service than the
current rules allow, I would strongly disagree with this proposal.

> I don't feel comfortable with a travel the policy that lets those who
> can afford first-class travel for cash be able to maximize their coach
> budgets.

I guess this point I'm just confused about what the current policy
actually is, since this seems like a really crazy amount of angst over
$100?

Bdale