Handling "Basic Economy" flight fares with hidden a-la-carte fees

Mike McQuaid mike at mikemcquaid.com
Thu Feb 14 19:59:32 UTC 2019

> On 14 Feb 2019, at 19:22, Bradley M. Kuhn <bkuhn at sfconservancy.org> wrote:
>
> The only idea that I've seen that has any hope to it is one Michael Downey
> made on IRC -- that perhaps a travel agent company could be outsourced to do
> travel policy enforcement.  I'd love it if this were a service we could
> buy. It's not clear to me though that such a service readily exists to handle
> all aspects.  Maybe we could *just* use them for transportation side?

At my work (GitHub) we’ve used Egencia for this pretty well. They seem to have codified the travel policies such that I literally cannot book out-of-policy (e.g. too expensive) hotels/flights without getting other authorisation. I have no idea what their pricing etc. looks like but as a consumer it’s been a fairly pleasant experience and the only policy I need to personally check with work travel is Per Diem.

As a side comment I do think that the SFC policy seems very reasonable and that folks who are, as we like to say over here, taking the piss are worth just taking a firm line with. If they have jobs working in technology at worst it’s an expensive lesson for them to learn and if they’re an 18 year old student based on what you’ve said already I have no doubt you’ll cut them the necessary slack.

Thanks again for all you to do keep our projects running, Bradley and co.!

Mike McQuaid
https://mikemcquaid.com