ICYMI: Conservancy YIR: Karen Sandler Speaks about IRS Charity Issues

Bradley M. Kuhn and Karen M. Sandler info at sfconservancy.org
Fri Dec 11 19:57:59 UTC 2015

Blog Post URL: https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2015/dec/11/yir-karen-lca/
Video URL:     https://sfconservancy.org/videos/2015-01-15_Karen-Sandler_Low-Down-Irs-Status-USA_LCA-2015.mp4

[ This is a blog post is the first in our series,
  Conservancy 2015: Year in Review. ]

Conservancy's 2015 started with the filing of our FY 2013 Form
990. That's the IRS tax form that every charity and trade association in
the USA must file annually. Typically, most non-profits ask for the two
three-month extensions for filing deadline for the Form 990, and since
Conservancy's fiscal year ends in February, our Form 990 is filed by 15
January.

This is the type of essential work that Conservancy does for our member
projects. Each member project need not file their own complicated forms
to maintain their charitable status and ability to accept earmarked
donations for their projects. Instead, Conservancy files one Form
990. We're “looking forward” to spending this holiday season preparing
our next FY 2014 Form 990 and completing our mandated annual audit. (Our
FY 2013 annual audit is of course already available.)

Fitting with this annual work that Conservancy does, immediately after
filing the 990, both Karen and Bradley — thanks to generous travel
funding by the conference — quickly boarded flights to LinuxConf
Australia in Auckland, New Zealand. At the conference, on the very date
of Conservancy's IRS filing deadline, Karen gave talk entitled "The Low
Down on IRS status for Free and Open Source Software Nonprofits in the
US".

Even almost a year later, many of the issues Karen discussed in her talk
are not well known in the Free Software community and there are still
many confusions in the Open Source and Free Software about non-profit
status and how it works. Enjoy this video now to see more about what
Conservancy does for its member projects, and generally to learn more
about how both charities and trade associations operate and what they do
in our community.

Become a Conservancy Supporter now to help us continue this work in
2016!

Social Media URLs:
  https://identi.ca/conservancy/note/kmzXik4uQlyczOJiGFzk0A
  https://twitter.com/conservancy/status/675391778149679104
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN2lHHm_iI0
  https://plus.google.com/104268783278405704634/posts/cXfQq3Qt5rc

--
Become a Conservancy Supporter Now: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter/
  (And then ask a friend to become a Supporter, too! :)