2015 YIR: Bradley M. Kuhn Speaks About Future of Copyleft

Software Freedom Conservancy info at sfconservancy.org
Fri Dec 18 19:46:52 UTC 2015

Video URL: https://sfconservancy.org/videos/2015-01-15_Bradley-Kuhn_Future-of-Copyleft_LCA-2015.mp4

[ This is a blog post is the second in our series, Conservancy 2015:
  Year in Review ]

Thanks to the generosity of the LinuxConf Australia (LCA) organizers,
who funded both Karen's and Bradley's visit to LinuxConf AU 2015, both
were able to attend and speak at LCA 2015. Yesterday, our Year In Review
post included a video of Karen Sandler's talk at LCA 2015. Today's video
shows Bradley M. Kuhn's talk, Considering the Future of Copyleft: How
Will The Next Generation Perceive the GPL?, which was delivered on 15
January 2015.

Copyleft licenses, particularly the GPL, are widely used throughout the
Open Source and Free Software communities. Recent debates have led many
to various conclusions about the popularity of copyleft. This talk
discusses where copyleft stands today, how it interacts with the modern
Free Software world, and how copyleft advocates may need to adapt to the
future of Free Software licensing.

Specifically, Bradley gives a historical perspective of how the Open
Source and Free Software communities perceive copyleft now, and why they
do. He discusses what challenges this history leaves for the current
situation in software freedom politics. Told with examples from his own
twenty years of work in our community, Bradley describes the political
challenges facing copyleft and what we as a community should do about
it.

Bradley will premiere a follow-up talk to this one, entitled Copyleft
For the Next Decade: A Comprehensive Plan at LinuxConf Australia 2016.

Social Media Links:
    https://identi.ca/conservancy/note/WNLYjt94QAmwnJ9xd3T6DA
    https://twitter.com/conservancy/status/675818832083091456
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fox1CuoP2DQ
    https://plus.google.com/b/104268783278405704634/104268783278405704634/posts/5RVeyW85Yt1
--
Become a Conservancy Supporter Now: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter/
  (And then ask a friend to become a Supporter, too! :)