Brett Smith Joins Conservancy as Director of Strategic Initiatives

Software Freedom Conservancy info at sfconservancy.org
Mon Aug 22 17:47:09 UTC 2016

URLs: https://sfconservancy.org/news/2016/aug/22/brett-joins/
      https://twitter.com/conservancy/status/767779398208466944
      https://identi.ca/conservancy/note/Sk46cv_GQ1-AvAWmvmwT0w

   Brett Smith Joins Conservancy as Director of Strategic Initiatives

         Free software advocate brings longtime community focus
          with expertise in licensing and software development

Software Freedom Conservancy is pleased to announce the addition of
Brett Smith as its Director of Strategic Initiatives. Brett will be
Conservancy's fourth full-time staffer, and will contribute to the
organization's charitable mission on several wide-ranging fronts — from
software development, to systems administration, to organizational
operations, to logistics. Brett will contribute to FLOSS projects that
support Conservancy's infrastructure, including leading Conservancy's
NPO Accounting Project. Brett will also provide Conservancy's member
projects with additional support and mentorship, and will strengthen the
public voice of the organization.

"We had an overwhelming response to our job posting, with a lot of
exceptional applicants" said Karen Sandler, Conservancy's Executive
Director."After a careful hiring process, we're thrilled to hire
Brett. He's demonstrated an impressive commitment to software freedom
and has the talent to fill so many of the roles that Conservancy needs."

"I'm excited to join Conservancy," commented Brett. "The organization's
work has already brought tremendous benefits to the entire FLOSS
community. I'm eager to work full time on initiatives like the NPO
Accounting project to address needs that free software hasn't met yet."

Brett brings to Conservancy fourteen years of experience as a free
software advocate and software developer. Prior to joining Conservancy,
Brett worked as a software engineer and FLOSS project maintainer for
Curoverse, and as a systems engineer for the World Wide Web
Consortium. Brett also further adds to Conservancy's expertise with free
software license compliance: as the Free Software Foundation's License
Compliance Engineer, he gained experience in managing copyleft license
compliance matters, and has written and given talks on the
subject. Brett's full bio is available at https://sfconservancy.org/about/staff/#brett

--
Become a Conservancy Supporter Now: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter/
  (And then ask a friend to become a Supporter, too! :)