Kate Chapman Joins Conservancy's Board of Directors

Software Freedom Conservancy info at sfconservancy.org
Tue Dec 6 15:41:56 UTC 2016

  Kate Chapman Joins Conservancy's Board of Directors

Software Freedom Conservancy is pleased to
announce the addition of Kate Chapman to its Board
of Directors. Chapman is Chief Technology Officer
at Cadasta[1], a 501c3 organization focused on
land and resource rights, and has been very active
in the free and open source software
world. Chapman has championed open imagery as a
public good.

Chapman was the first Executive Director of the
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team[2], where she
applied the principles of free software and open
data to improve the welfare of the communities
where HOT works, especially those at risk of
natural disaster or other crisis. Chapman has
used her expertise to teach in many countries.

Chapman commented, "I'm delighted to join the
Board of Directors. It is a great opportunity to
further support FLOSS and especially the
introduction of unrepresented groups to FLOSS
contributions through Outreachy."

"With experience running a free and open source
software nonprofit, deep familiarity with free
software and copyleft licensing as well as her
experiences as an Outreachy mentor and
coordinator, Kate is a particularly good fit for
Conservancy's board," said Conservancy's Executive
Director Karen Sandler. "I look forward to working
with her and the rest of the board on some of the
most important issues in software freedom
today. I'm honored to have her on our board."

Chapman's appointment comes as Conservancy shifts
to a primarily individual donor-funded
organization. Chapman offers perspective on
fundraising and nonprofits operations, as well as
a deep familiarity with the issues that
Conservancy faces in its programmatic activities.

[1]: http://cadasta.org/
[2]: https://hotosm.org/

--
Become a Conservancy Supporter Now: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter/
  (And then ask a friend to become a Supporter, too! :)