Bdale Garbee joins Software Freedom Conservancy's Evaluations Committee

Karen Sandler info at sfconservancy.org
Thu Dec 15 16:21:00 UTC 2016

Bdale Garbee joins Software Freedom Conservancy's Evaluations Committee

Software Freedom Conservancy announces today that it has appointed Bdale
Garbee to its Evaluations Committee. The committee evaluates projects
applying to Conservancy and selects which ones get offered membership.
Meeting monthy, the committee serves as a gatekeeper, monitoring
Conservancy's mission to support, promote and defend software freedom.
The evaluations conducted by the comittee are often complex and require
a very broad collective skill set to be successful. Ensuring that there
are a strong group of independent commttee members who are experts in
the field is fundamental. The Evaluations Committee is appointed by
Conservancy's Board of Directors.

Garbee is a technologist and community builder. He has deep connections
to free and open source software communities, having been an early
participant in the Debian community and board member of Software in the
Public Interest for a decade. He also has substantial coporate
experience in the field, and has recently retired (for the second time)
from an impressive career at HP/HPE. Garbee also serves on the boards of
the Freedombox Foundation and Aleph Objects. He is a co-founder of Altus
Metrum, LLC, is a small business that designs, builds, and sells
completely open hardware and open source avionics solutions for use in
high power model rockets. Garbee is a frequent speaker and presence at
free and open source software events.

"The Software Freedom Conservancy plays an important role in the world
of Free Software," said Garbee, "and I am happy to further support the
organization by adding my experience and perspective to the Evaluation
Committee."

"Bdale brings a unique background which will help us make sure that
we're partnering with the right member projects," commented Karen
Sandler, Executive Director of Conservancy. "I can think of few free
software contributors with the breadth of experience that Bdale brings
to the table. We're excited to have him on the committee!"