[FOSSY-attendees] Complete and Corresponding Summary of day two

Daniel Pono Takamori pono at sfconservancy.org
Sat Jul 15 01:06:11 UTC 2023

Day two is in the bag; we're halfway done with FOSSY! We started with an
exciting panel discussion about the impact of Red Hat's recent
announcements about changes in Red Hat Enterprise Linux on the free
software community, and continued with 32 more talks and workshops about
different facets of FOSS, from firmware to education to sustainability,
compliance, AI, and more. With two full coffee breaks keeping us
caffinated (and hydrated!), I hope you engaged in as many incredible
discussions as we did! There have been so many conversations from people
reconnecting, discovering mutual friends and just building the hallway
track that we've all come to love. Thanks again for paying mind to our
code of conduct (our team members are wearing blue hats if you need to
get a hold of them) and mask policy. Just a reminder that masks are
required to be worn by all folks not speaking in the conference rooms.

There is no official social event tonight, but we hope our list of
crowdsourced respiratory-friendly restaurants will have something for
you to find: https://2023.fossy.us/events/#crowdsourced Tomorrow night
(Saturday) there is a FOSS for Education Mixer hosted by Apereo at
Spirit of 77 from 7-10pm. Tickets are available at the Apereo booth.

Tomorrow morning, join us at 9am for coffee before the keynote at 9:30am
sharp. This will be another community discussion, this time focusing on
Right to Repair, with activists Kyle Wiens of iFixit, Juan Manuel Muro
Jr. of Free Geek, Hilary Shohoney of Bonneville Environmental
Foundation, and Denver Gingerich of Software Freedom Conservancy. If you
are interested in the Right to Repair movement, and its connection with
FOSS, you won't want to miss this!

Saturday's track schedule finishes the incredible FOSS for Education,
Community: Open Source in Practice, Wild Card and Right to Repair
tracks. The new tracks are Science of Community, FOSS in Daily Life,
Issues in Open Work, Diversity Equity and Inclusion and FOSS -- lots of
incredible speakers filling out a packed schedule for the day!

## Lunch and coffee

There's another buffet for lunch at Spirit of 77 that is included in
your ticket. The theme is *Nacho + Taco Bar*: Chicken Tinga, Taco Beef,
Vegan Bean “beef”, Salsa, Guacamole, Cabbage, Queso Cheese, Tortillas
and Tortilla Chips, and Fresh Fruit Platter. Lunch goes from 12:00pm  to
2:00pm.

The weather looks to be nice, so there is the option of the (partially
covered) back patio at Spirit of 77 out the south side door and around
the left side. We've also provided takeaway boxes if you would prefer to
eat elsewhere outside.

Coffee and tea will be served from 9:00-11:00am and 3:30-5:00pm outside
the ballroom across from the registration desk.

## Wifi

The convention center network is only available on 5GHz devices. If you
are using a 2.4GHz device (such as a fully free X200) and unable to see
the FOSSY network, please see us at registration for network info that
will work for you.

## Online FOSSY chat

You can join us in #fossy on libera.chat which is bridged to our XMPP
server: xmpp:fossy at chat.sfconservancy.org?join for online chat with
other attendees. And we've really enjoyed reading all the #FOSSY posts
on Mastodon, please keep them coming.

## Recordings

There have been a few questions about the cameras and what's happening
with the recordings. Talks are being recorded and uploaded by our AV
team over the weekend. We'll provide the edited videos as soon as we
can, and we'll let you know when we've published them.

## Lanyard and Badge Holder collection

You are welcome to keep your lanyard and badge as a souvenier, or to
pretend like FOSSY is still going on after Sunday, but if not, you can
return them to the registration desk and we will re-use them in the
future.

## See you tomorrow at 9:00am!

-FOSSY Organizing Team