Kallithea CI Service Proposal

Tim Freund tim at freunds.net
Wed Jul 9 21:32:45 EDT 2014

On 07/09/2014 10:16 AM, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> I admit we had some talk of using Buildbot, I assume because as Python
> developers, most of the developers are more familiar with that then
> Jenkins.

I'm a bit rusty with Buildbot, so I may need some help if we go that
way.  I didn't include "jenkins" in my repo names to keep things
flexible in case we wanted to use different tools.

At work we looked at Buildbot, Jenkins (then Hudson), and a few others
years ago.  Jenkins' ease of configuration sold my teammates, and,
ironically, a PyCon presentation[1] finally won me over from the
Buildbot camp.

It's been years since we made that decision.  I'm interested to see how
Buildbot has grown and changed.

> I haven't mentioned on this list yet, but Mads Kiilerich is on vacation
> this week, and he's been contributing a lot to Kallithea and is part of
> its leadership committee.  We definitely want his input before making
> final decisions on what infrastructure we'll use.
>
> Mads will be back next week and we can discuss this further.  Please
> ping again on this thread in about a week if you haven't seen further
> replies from anyone.
>
> I suspect that if you're offering to setup and maintain the CI server,
> that there won't be too many objections, but I don't think any of us
> want to make a final decision without Mads' input.

That sounds great, I'm happy to wait on him to get back and offer input.
I'll check out Buildbot, keep tinkering, and check back in a week.

Thanks!

Tim

[1]
http://pyvideo.org/video/326/pycon-2010--why-not-run-all-your-tests-all-the-ti