Code review and coverage marks

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 20:45:40 EDT 2014

Andrew Shadura writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 16:56:46 -0500
> Sean Farley <sean.michael.farley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > It is inconvenient anyway, and the point is that Mailman lists seem
>> > to lose (a lot of?) feedback from newer generation.
>
>> My idea would be to take the best of both worlds: have an issue
>> tracker / pull request model such that commenting would be mirrored
>> on the mailing list (and replies would be threaded). This would allow
>> people like me to not leave their email client but also people like
>> you to use the web interface to reply.
>
>> This would hopefully allow new people to issue a pull request via the
>> web but reviewers to respond with the email clients. Also, vice versa:
>> mailing a patchbomb would initiate a pull request just like the web
>> client would.
>
>> This is still just a pipe dream, though. No work has been done on
>> this idea.
>
> I think we may borrow something from the Debian BTS. It has a great
> email interface, and I think that's something we must support, at least
> partially.

I'm unfamiliar with the Debian BTS interface (pointers welcomed) but
email is a must. Hell, maybe even the data model should be email because
it's that important to keep the email-based replies.

I am very open to discussing this in person for those that will be at
the Mercurial 3.2 Sprint in Munich.