New UI & licencing

Michael V. DePalatis depalatis at phys.au.dk
Tue Jan 20 14:56:09 EST 2015

On 01/20/2015 08:16 PM, Paul Nathan wrote:
> I have zero opinion about particular front-end technologies, but I
> really hope that something GPL3+ or compatible with same is used

For what it's worth, Bootstrap is under the MIT license, which is GPL
compatible (according to a quick Wikipedia check).

> I would rather have plain CSS than the latest contraption which will
> be out of date in 12 months

I think it partially depends on what you mean by "plain CSS." If you
mean something fairly minimal and not in the way, then yes, that is
exactly what is preferable. The nice thing about some CSS frameworks
such as Bootstrap or Skeleton is that without doing much work, pages
look quite clean without really cluttering things. This is in part due
to their emphasis on "responsive" design (i.e., a mobile-friendly design
by default).