a per-user "has-been-viewed" flag for commits

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Mon Feb 9 13:25:33 EST 2015

On 01/26/2015 06:15 PM, Jan Heylen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while evaluating the interface of Kallithea, a user mentioned that
> there was no way for him to see which commits he already reviewed as a
> user. This got me thinking and reminded me on how this was done in
> Gerrit, based on that, I would like to do a RFC on this subject:
>
> This is how it could work:
>
> * Once somebody opens a commit for review (in Kallithea it could be
> any commit), a 'flag' or 'mark' is set on that commit, that is has
> been viewed by you as user.
> * The user has the possibility to remove that flag (checkbox? floating
> checkbox in a corner?) before navigating to another page/commit/...
> * The user also has the possibility to disable this auto-flag behavior.
> * In case of (semi-)manual flagging, there are several options:
>     - a user could choose to auto-set the flag once he makes his first comment
>     - a user could choose to auto-set the flag once he approved/rejected a commit
>     - a user could set the flag manually
> * In the changelog overview, besides the fact that a commit is
> approved/rejected, a flag could indicate that you as user have seen
> this commit (of approved/rejected it), this could be e.g. indicated by
> a red/green/grey border around the already present red/green/grey dot
> that indicates that the commit is in a review/pull request.
>
> please comment,

I just stumbled upon this in the gmail spam folder ...

Some quick comments:

'opens a commit for review' sounds like it assumes something we don't
have yet.

We already have the 'reviewer' concept that seems like it should cover
most of what you mention.

I notice that PRs and comments pretty much corresponds to a 'forum'.
People might have different policies for what they want to see, what
they want to see again, what they don't care about, which follow-up
comments they want to see, etc.

It is on my todo-list to implement some 'this comment requires
follow-up' functionality.