pull requests: variable names

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 16:07:59 EST 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 5:50 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 February 2015 at 06:36, Thomas De Schampheleire
> <patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the pull request code (both controllers and templates) I find the
>> variable names non-intuitive and it is therefore harder to make
>> changes.
>>
>> With this mail I would like to get an agreement on the terminology we
>> can change to.
>>
>> - org vs other --> source/src and dest
>> - c.cs_repo: what does 'cs' stand for here? This could become src_repo
>> - c.a_repo: what does 'a' stand for here?? This could become dest_repo.
>>
>> Other variable names with the same prefixes 'cs'/'a'/'org'/'other'
>> would be changed too, of course.
>
> +1 from me for the general idea of having PR code focus on "src ->
> dest", without making assumptions about the "src" being outside the
> organisation and the "dest" being inside.

Thanks Nick.
Note that it's unclear to me whether 'org' refers to 'organization' or
'original'. I was thinking the latter, actually. But all the more a
reason to clarify things.

Besides pull requests, this terminology is also used for the compare
controller, and also used in several models. I assume we don't want to
change the models unnecessarily, so we should stick to fixing the
controllers, is that correct?

Thanks,
Thomas