About patches on the mailing list vs bitbucket pull requests

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Tue Feb 24 17:37:13 EST 2015

On 02/24/2015 10:45 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you noticed I have been sending patches to the mailing list lately,
> rather than opening bitbucket pullrequests.
>
> I find the feedback/discussion more easy on such e-mailed patches.
>
> However, the biggest downside is that it is difficult to see which
> patches are still to be applied/discussed.
> In other projects, a tool like patchwork
> (http://jk.ozlabs.org/projects/patchwork/, for example Buildroot:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/ ) is used to track
> patches and their state.
>
> How will we proceed with this?

I prefer to pull everything down anyway and test it and use it in
production and perhaps tweak it before I push it.

It is tricky for me to keep track of, but mainly my problem.

A patchwork bot could perhaps be nice ... especially if it automatically
can remove stuff that has been pushed.

> A goal that was stated before is to send patches through Our Own
> Kallithea. What is blocking this currently?

I guess we could give known and trusted contributors access to the
projects own instance. It is primarily Andrew who is managing it - I
will leave that to him.

It would not be perfect for our own use ... but that could be motivation
for fixing and improving it ;-)

It would of course be nice if we could have patchbot functionality in
Kallithea. Something that could create "pull requests" from mails ... or
where more or less anonymous users could push to pull requests or create
a pull request from changes hosted elsewhere (on their own Kallithea or
bitbucket or whatever).