Invitation to "adopt pytest month"

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 15:54:32 EDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 12:13 AM, Brianna Laugher
<brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 March 2015 at 20:27, Thomas De Schampheleire
> <patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That sounds great, thanks!
>> In practice, how will this work?
>
> Well, I'm kind of making it up as I go, but I envisage something like
> · initial familiarisation with project, discussion of aims (which we
> have done a bit here and now on the wiki page)
> · basics: pytest can run all tests, tests run without errors/failures,
> CI server set up (I haven't seen one for Kallithea yet - is there
> one?), probably with coverage - pytest helpers submit PRs, project
> authors review and discuss

I don't think there is a CI server currently.
Mads: are you running one privately?

What is the added value of a CI server for a project like Kallithea?
Which one would you suggest?

> Then you have a choice of focusing on existing tests or exploring
> needs for new tests.
> Existing tests: Progressively rewrite to be more pytesthonic. You
> mentioned improving the speed and that is another definite area to
> look at!
> New tests: Add unit tests for low coverage areas. Figure out what
> fixtures might be needed, especially for functional tests.
>
> I would suggest the latter could be especially useful for Kallithea as
> you already mentioned fixtures for different vcs repos - sounds
> perfect.
>
> As I put 3 helpers with Kallithea they are people with a variety of
> pytest experience, so something like converting or writing new unit
> tests is a good task for someone with less experience, and analysing
> the speed and writing fixtures is a good task for someone with more.
>
> Like that is actually heaps for a months' effort, right? I get really
> excited and I'm really bad at keeping the scope down. :) But that's
> pretty much what I think - then if you/Kallithea would like a
> different focus, or have other ideas, point the way!

What you describe sounds good to me, but I definitely welcome more
feedback from other Kallithea contributors/maintainers in this
matter...

Thanks,
Thomas