[PoC] Bootstrap UI

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 08:45:53 EDT 2015

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Andrew Shadura <andrew at shadura.me> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Last month I played with Bootstrap UI for Kallithea, and have achieved
> something. The archievement is actually very little one, there's loads
> of work ahead, and everyone's welcome to help.
>
> == What is the plan ==
>
> The templates we use already support Bootstrap CSS to some extent, but
> they require some polishing to look better. However, just adding the
> Bootstrap CSS makes Kallithea look a bit Bootstrap-ish with lots of
> things broken, however :) There are two basic approaches to migrate to
> Bootstrap:
>
>  *) throw away all CSS we have and write something from scratch —
>     doesn't work well as the UI becomes unusable while the rewrite
>     isn't finished

Actually, somewhere on my TODO list is exactly that. The current CSS
code is so fragile, containing too much detail in the selectors, that
it is hard to reduce gradually. Throwing it away and starting from
scratch is a bit more intensive, but I think will yield the best
results.

And yes, the rewrite should be done in one go, but since you are now
planning on using a branch for a while to do the bootstrap
integration, that wouldn't really hurt now, would it?

This is also what Mads hinted on on at least one occasion:
https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/issue/101/ui-consistent-font-sizes
"Yes, the whole styling should be redone from scratch."

Could I convince you to try this approach instead (possibly with help
from others) ?

Thanks,
Thomas