[RFC] Search box

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Sun Apr 26 14:53:57 EDT 2015

On 04/23/2015 09:32 PM, Andrew Shadura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While playing with Bootstrap styling, I came across the following
> question: should we display a search box instead of a link to the
> search page?
>
> I first implemented a search box which appears after clicking "Search"
> button on the front page. When users type in the box, a dropdown
> appears, suggesting to search not only by file content (default), but
> also by commit messages or file names.

We should consider both searching inside repositories and searching
"globally". Most of the global search options seems rather pointless to
me in real world setups. Globally, I only think it makes sense to search
for repository names (replacing the "Repositories" menu item?) and
repository description. Inside the repository it makes more sense to
search commit messages and filenames and file content (in all or tip or
head revisions???). We should also add Mercurial revset search as hgweb
has it (even though that probably would look a lot like the current
changelog page ... just like searching in commit messages perhaps should).

I think the repo search has more need for being made more available. But
showing two search boxes on all repo pages would also be weird. It needs
some clarification of which is which ... but consistency and integration
would also be nice.

Other pages do have (or doesn't have) other kinds of search filtering.
That should also be considered.

> I have also prepared different options regarding to the location of the
> box. GitHub places it on the left, Bitbucket places in on the right,
> GitLab doesn't have it at all.

But AFAICS, bitbucket only has a "find a repository" option ... which is
pretty much like our Repositories search field?

> Here's a proof of concept of my "dynamic" search box:
> https://codehost.me.uk/

As (more or less) mentioned before, I don't like that it changes the
menu content in an unexpected way, that there is no way back, and that
it doesn't show what you are searching - "commit" and "filename" only
shows up after typing something ... and I don't know what it these two
items on the list really mean ... and I wonder where the third option
"file content" is.

> And here's comparison of different options:
> https://shadura.me/kallithea/search-box/

I don't think Search needs more expose on the pages right now. It needs
better usability and functionality before we put a search field on every
page. I also doubt it is something people use a lot so it doesn't have
to be _that_ exposed and attract that much attention. The old search
page is not elegant but I think it is more usable than the fancy widget.