[RFC] Search box

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 03:31:19 EDT 2015

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 10:23 PM, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/2015 09:17 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>>
>> Redirecting to a search 'page' in order to be able to enter search terms
>> is not very user-friendly and makes searching harder than it should be.
>

> Yes, it would be weird if that search page only contained one input field. I
> do however not see how a click to a new page with an input field is any
> harder than a click that reveals an input field.

One case is where the search terms you want to enter are derived from
the content you are currently looking at, for example a particular
commit. Having to move away from that page to get to the search page
means you will either have to remember, or copy/paste (but this is
only possible if the search terms you need are already adjacent on the
existing page, which is not always true).

> But you can search several different things from the input field and the
> search page makes it clear what you are searching and how you can change the
> search.
>
> It doesn't do a very good job at it, but it is easier to improve the
> functionality on a page than when it has to be done where it can be put on
> any page without using any space or resources.

I feel we'll need to revisit the way we display the search box after
the search page itself has been improved :)

Best regards,
Thomas