Permissions and related (Was: Pull request #137: From Unity (conservancy/kallithea))

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Tue May 12 15:49:21 EDT 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Andrew Shadura <andrew at shadura.me> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 12 May 2015 00:44:41 -0000
> "kiilerix" <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
>
>> 149407d6dd5d by kiilerix: "admin: cleanup of naming of 'Default
>> Permissions'"
>
>> 1a955b112623 by kiilerix: "permissions: clarify the use of
>> "Permissions" - use "Show Permissions" for the o…"
>
> As we have discussed that already today, what I don't like about these
> changes is that they change one set of confusing names to another
> (Default Permissions and Permissions vs Permissions and Show
> Permissions). First of all, these two seem to be slightly different
> things (a list of objects and access rights to them vs what a user can
> do to a user group itself, for example). Second, I don't like that a
> non-action page (Show permissions) has a verb in the name, while a page
> where action is possible (editing), doesn't.
>
> I think that we need to reorganise these pages significantly. I suggest
> creating an Overview page where there will be read-only informations,
> probably, and other pages for editing stuff, but that also raises a
> question how to organise them properly…
>
> Thomas, do you have any ideas on this?

Yes, I discussed this on IRC with Mads too, a few days ago. I didn't
keep the logs, but I suggested something like: Permission overview
(for pages that show the calculated permissions for that user or user
group), and another term (that I can't recall) for pages that edit the
permissions of a particular group.

Note that I do not understand currently what it means that someone has
read/write/... access to e.g. a user group. I assume (but haven't
investigated) that some of the levels do not make sense.

Reorganizing these pages is fine for me, but I do not have enough
working knowledge currently to give a decent proposal.

What I can say, but it is only marginally related, is that I'd like
the administration for e.g. users to be more convenient: currently you
need to edit a user in order to activate it. It would be convenient if
the overview of users had shortcuts for that. Also, a list of inactive
users could help here, possible with some batch action possibilities.

Best regards,
Thoams