[meta] Sending pullrequest and/or issue notifications from Bitbucket to the mailing list

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:23:20 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 11:56 PM, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> On 07/18/2015 10:04 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>>
>> Currently, the Kallithea mailing list does not receive e-mails when
>> new pull requests for Kallithea are created on Bitbucket, nor when
>> comments are added to such pullrequests, nor when issues are created
>> or commented on.
>>
>> In my opinion, to grow a healthy Kallithea community, this should be
>> changed.
>

> The best solution to this might be to implement cross site pull requests to
> our own kallithea ;-)

True, but it is not there yet

>> - new issues
>> - comments on issues
>> - status changes of issues
>

> and deep integration with a good bug tracker
>
>> The second question is how to achieve it. Having looked at the
>> Bitbucket admin interface, here are some ideas:
>>
>> - for issues specifically, Bitbucket has an option to send
>> notifications to a mailing list. This is available in the Admin menu,
>> under 'issues', 'Mailing list'.
>>
>> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Setting+email+preferences+for+an+issue+tracker
>

> This is already enabled. See for example
> http://lists.sfconservancy.org/pipermail/kallithea-general/2015q3/001192.html

Apparently the Bitbucket interface only sends mails for new issues,
but there is no way of configuring things so that comments on existing
issues are forwarded to the list too.

Short-term, I see three solutions:

1. leave the current situation
2. implement a solution with WebHooks
3. step away from bitbucket, for issues (Bugzilla?) and possibly for
pull requests too (encouraging e-mail based contribution).

/Thomas