Issue #152: One line install needed. (conservancy/kallithea)

Jason Harris issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Sun Aug 16 14:04:08 UTC 2015

New issue 152: One line install needed.
https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/issues/152/one-line-install-needed

Jason Harris:

First thanks for all the hard work in getting this going...

However, as a user who just wants to use this nice scm system, I don't actually want to learn about the details. I don't know what paster is, I don't want to learn about how to connect wsgi sockets, I don't know what waitress is, I don't want to know how to hookup nginx sockets to this backend.

Basically this is a plea to make this much more accessible. There should be a one line install that installs everything with a good set of defaults, which after it is working, people can go back and change the defaults if they want. (Maybe upload some cert's) but other than that they should have a production system which they can use with their team.

So that way when a user wants to spin up a digital ocean droplet, or an E2c instance, or a VM on their proxmox or ESXi host or wherever, then they can just run the one line and they are dpne and then they can get back to the zillions of other tasks they have to do...

Maybe this is an ansible playbook, or chef, or saltstack, or something. Maybe a bash script which calls those?

Likewise upgrading should be a one-liner...

You will get vastly more users if you do this...

Me, I got up to the stage where I could serve Kallithea with either paster or uwsgi, but missed getting the socket connection through to nginx, and hence to setup https. I am sure if I threw more time at this I would scrabble around find out the details and get something going. I would of course wonder did I do it correctly? Are their security holes in what I did etc? And it would

It will likely take you guys a couple of days to get a nice one line install command going. It will save your users vastly more time and make you program vastly more popular. So please please could you do this?

Thanks,
    Jason