Introducing a Puppet Module for Setting up Kallithea

Robert Rauch robert.rauch at gns-systems.de
Thu Aug 27 12:21:33 UTC 2015

Am 27.08.2015 um 02:08 schrieb Mads Kiilerich:
> On 08/26/2015 02:24 PM, Robert Rauch wrote:
>>
>> Am 26.08.2015 um 13:56 schrieb Mads Kiilerich:
>>> For us who don't know puppet, can you give a very short
>>> completely-for-dummies description of exactly what to install, what to
>>> run and where to look? Perhaps something like
>>> http://docs.kallithea-scm.org/en/latest/contributing.html#getting-started
>>> .
>> Sure, the following example would setup the latest Kallithea from PyPi
>> with SQLite backend listening on http://localhost:5000, assuming Puppet
>> is already installed (see
>> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/4.2/reference/install_linux.html for
>> installing Puppet):
>>
>>   # puppet module install rauch/kallithea
>>   # puppet apply -e 'class { 'kallithea': }'
>>
>> Normally, when using a Puppet Master/Agent Setup, the second command is
>> to be replaced by adding something like
>>
>>   class { 'kallithea': }
>>
>> to your puppet manifests. For a more interesting example, we use the
>> `config_hash` parameter of the `kallithea` puppet class to manipulate
>> Kallithea ini-configuration:
>>
>>   class { 'kallithea':
>>     config_hash => {
>>       'DEFAULT': {
>>         'smtpl_server' => 'smtp.example.com',
>>       },
>>       '[app:main]' => {
>>         'issue_server_link' => 'redmine.example.com/issues/{id}',
>>       },
>>     },
>>   }
>>
>> Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to manage those settings, which
>> Kallithea keeps in its database backend. I would really like to
>> integrate this in the near future, but the problem is I do not know how
>> to manipulate these from, e.g., the command line.
>
> That sounds great.
>
> But not something I should do from my main machine that I use for other
> stuff or perhaps have an existing Kallithe instance on? It is intended
> for running on a didicated (possibly virtual) machine?

Yes, you should better use Vagrant and use a clean system for playing
around. For existing production machines, of course, you should better
be careful and know what you are doing, although it should't do any harm
in many cases (see
https://forge.puppetlabs.com/rauch/kallithea#what-kallithea-affects) ;)

>>> Is this something you ultimately would like to see upstreamed or should
>>> the docs mention it? Either way, contributions would be appreciated ;-)
>> I don't know... what exactly do you mean by 'upstreaming it' and what
>> are the pros/cons?
>
> I don't know. Whatever it takes to "make Kallithea have Puppet support".
> It seems like puppet defaults to use github so I guess your reference is
> enough? Or perhaps it could/should be at some dedicated Kallithea or
> Conservance account? You tell me ;-)
Yes, Github is preferred within the puppet community. I really have no
preference who owns the repository, but I would like to keep the module
associated with my personal PuppetForge account
(https://forge.puppetlabs.com/rauch).

>> In any case, the docs should definitely mention it,
>> as soon as it reaches a satisfying state.
>
> Cool. When that is the case, please propose a change to the documentation.
Okay, I will do that as soon as possible.

Robert