Introducing a Puppet Module for Setting up Kallithea

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Thu Aug 27 00:08:15 UTC 2015

On 08/26/2015 02:24 PM, Robert Rauch wrote:

> Am 26.08.2015 um 13:56 schrieb Mads Kiilerich:
>> For us who don't know puppet, can you give a very short
>> completely-for-dummies description of exactly what to install, what to
>> run and where to look? Perhaps something like
>> http://docs.kallithea-scm.org/en/latest/contributing.html#getting-started .
> Sure, the following example would setup the latest Kallithea from PyPi
> with SQLite backend listening on http://localhost:5000, assuming Puppet
> is already installed (see
> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/4.2/reference/install_linux.html for
> installing Puppet):
>
>   # puppet module install rauch/kallithea
>   # puppet apply -e 'class { 'kallithea': }'
>
> Normally, when using a Puppet Master/Agent Setup, the second command is
> to be replaced by adding something like
>
>   class { 'kallithea': }
>
> to your puppet manifests. For a more interesting example, we use the
> `config_hash` parameter of the `kallithea` puppet class to manipulate
> Kallithea ini-configuration:
>
>   class { 'kallithea':
>     config_hash => {
>       'DEFAULT': {
>         'smtpl_server' => 'smtp.example.com',
>       },
>       '[app:main]' => {
>         'issue_server_link' => 'redmine.example.com/issues/{id}',
>       },
>     },
>   }
>
> Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to manage those settings, which
> Kallithea keeps in its database backend. I would really like to
> integrate this in the near future, but the problem is I do not know how
> to manipulate these from, e.g., the command line.

That sounds great.

But not something I should do from my main machine that I use for other
stuff or perhaps have an existing Kallithe instance on? It is intended
for running on a didicated (possibly virtual) machine?

>> Is this something you ultimately would like to see upstreamed or should
>> the docs mention it? Either way, contributions would be appreciated ;-)
> I don't know... what exactly do you mean by 'upstreaming it' and what
> are the pros/cons?

I don't know. Whatever it takes to "make Kallithea have Puppet support".
It seems like puppet defaults to use github so I guess your reference is
enough? Or perhaps it could/should be at some dedicated Kallithea or
Conservance account? You tell me ;-)

> In any case, the docs should definitely mention it,
> as soon as it reaches a satisfying state.

Cool. When that is the case, please propose a change to the documentation.