A public Kallithea

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Sep 9 21:41:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-09-09 at 18:06 +0200, Mads Kiilerich wrote:
> On 09/09/2015 01:40 PM, Dominik Ruf wrote:
> >
> > 2. Should pull requests still be handled on bitbucket?
> > I'm a big believer in 'eating your own dog food' so I'd suggest to
> > go away
> > from bitbucket and instead use https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/.
>
> I agree. But also, Kalilthea is not really optimized for being a
> public
> bitbucket-like instance with "random" users. It might however work if
>
> someone wants to admin that and keep an eye on users and prevent
> abuse.
> It could be an easy start if we start out by only giving access to
> known
> contributors/reviewers.

As I've mentioned before, I've been very interested in using it for
Samba, and for that it would need it to be semi-public.  Indeed, even
better would be if we could (as a fellow SFC project) use a shared
instance, but that might be too hard :-)

What I can share is our experience with our wiki.  We require that
users e-mail us (with a real e-mail client, we don't implement a web
form) to gain access, describing in a sentence or two what they wish to
do as their initial contribution.  That seems to have kept the abuse
down.

For authentication, I haven't made it work yet (and I'm not sure how
available it will be long term), but I am keen on the idea of using
Mozilla persona, apache and mod_auth_persona, so I don't have to secure
a password DB.

(In the meantime, I've just started integrating Samba with github as a
mirror, to get a broader exposure).

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--