SV: Bug in MySQL code?

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Wed Nov 18 20:14:45 UTC 2015

On 11/18/2015 09:52 AM, Lars Skjærlund wrote:

> Hi Mads,
>
> ØWhen debugging the problem, it might be simpler to let Kallithea
> create a new database and focus on whether it can store and read unicode.
>
> That’s what I did before reporting the bug: Kallithea does _/not/_
> store data in Unicode format – and if you add new data to the database
> in Unicode, Kallithea breaks.
>
> If I open the MySQL client and do, say, “update users set lastname =
> ‘Skjærlund’ where firstname = ‘Lars’”, then Kallithea breaks because
> the MySQL client adds data in Unicode.
>
> If the above command is to work, I have to type “update users set
> lastname = ‘Skjærlund’ where firstname = ‘Lars’”. In that case
> Kallithea survives – and it displays my name correctly in the UI.

I'm just saying that I am very sure it works for other users of
Kallithea on MySQL. It must thus be something in your environment.

Especially, I know that it works perfectly for us with PostgreSQL. All
databases are handled by sqlalchemy. There might of course be bugs in
the database specific parts of sqlalchemy but it is quite unlikely they
will go unnoticed.

If you explain what OS you are using and exactly how your mysql and
kallithea and web server environment has been set up, someone might spot
what is wrong.