Proposal for TurboGears2 port

Alessandro Molina alessandro.molina at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:26:27 UTC 2016

>From the pure historical point of view Pyramid is the successor of Pylons
officially, but technically is based on repoze.bfg framework and doesn't
have much in common with Pylons from the point of view of APIs and design.
It's a very flexible and powerful framework and I used it for a bunch of
API servers in the past, but porting a Pylons App to Pyramid would probably
require a rewrite of many parts. I actually never tried but from my
experience with Pyramid it looks so.

TurboGears2 was an higher level framework based on Pylons (much like Ubuntu
is based on Debian), it provided a full stack framework similar to Django
using Pylons as the core. When Pylons got deprecated and we needed to move
forward to Python3 we wrote an internal TurboGears core that was 90%
compatible with Pylons, as much as it has an option to expose
"pylons.request, pylons.tmpl_context" and so on objects for quick and dirty
porting of old apps.

While this has been used successfully to port TurboGears apps based on
Pylons to TurboGears stand-alone it has never been tried to port a Pylons
app to TurboGears stand-alone but it would ideally require far less changes
than porting it to Pyramid. Only major issue is probably related to routing
as TurboGears uses ObjectDispatch while Pylons used Regex based routes, but
this can probably be solved by using tgext.routes and improving it as
required (so far it have been used only to provide additional regex routes,
not as the core routing system, but I would gladly extend it as required to
work as the core router).

So I suggested TurboGears2 because it should be the easiest path as it was
actually based on Pylons and tried to keep APIs as similar as possible.
I think you can freely try to quickstart a TG app, play around with it and
see how it compares to Pylons. I'll gladly answer any doubt

Bests,
Alessandro