Proposal for TurboGears2 port

Alessandro Molina alessandro.molina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:37:39 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Dominik Ruf <dominikruf at gmail.com> wrote:

> I gave it shot but failed :-(
>
> The first thing were the requirements.
> Like you said I had to add some requirements to the setup.py.
> "zope.interface" and "repoze.who"
> But I don't understand why these are not installed as dependencies of
> turbogeards?

Because TurboGears by itself doesn't depend on those, installing only the
TurboGears2 package it's much like installing flask, you get only a
framework without caching, sessions, auth, template engine and so on...
It's much like a micro-framework. Then, for example, in case you add a
"session.enabled = true" option you will need Beaker so you will have to
add it to the dependencies of your project. By default when you quickstart
a new application all those dependencies are added for you depending on the
quickstart options (for example if you enabled database or not).

As I copied the app_cfg.py file from and app that used
authentication/authorization repoze.who is a dependency even though
Kallithea doesn't use it. But I have been too lazy to disable it :P

> After adding these two dependencies kallithea started.
> But when trying to open the root page I got
>
>   File "_base_root_html", line 195, in render_body
>   File "_index_html", line 63, in render_header_menu
>   File "_base_base_html", line 602, in render_menu
> AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'landing_rev'
> 2016-01-28 17:13:23.398 ERROR [waitress] Exception when serving /

To try it I copied an already existing kallithea.db from a production
environment, so you probably ended up in a code path that my configuration
didn't trigger :(
As I don't know much about Kallithea codebase I just fixed issues as they
arose until I saw the homepage working, so I'm sure there are many things
that still don't work.

I don't know if it matters but when I tried it I logged as the admin as my
configuration required login, that probably sent me to a different menu
layout or code path that didn't face that issue.