Accessing Kallithea through the localhost address

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Fri Feb 12 02:04:22 UTC 2016

On 02/12/2016 01:11 AM, Angel Ezquerra wrote:
> Is there a way to configure Kallithea so that in can be accessed both
> from localhost / 127.0.0.1 and by using the actual server name and IP
> address?
>
> If seems that Kallithea will only reply to the address that is
> specified in its ini file, on the "host" property.
>
> For example, if I set the host property to "myserver" for example, I
> cannot access kallithea by going to http://localhost:5000. I must go
> to http://myserver:5000. In fact, it seems that I cannot access
> Kallithea through http://myserver.mydomain.com:5000 either. I must use
> exactly http://myserver:5000 (unless I somehow made I mistake when I
> tested this).
>
> Is that normal? Is there some way to change that?

Yes, that seems quite normal and not specific to Kallithea.

First, at the DNS/IP/socket level, the web server has to listen on the
IP and port you are connecting to. Usually, you can configure the web
server to listen 0.0.0.0 to make it listen on all interfaces. (I don't
really know or care if that is defined somewhere or just is a convention
;-) )

Second, the web server might use "virtual hosting" on the IP address and
dispatch the requests based on the HTTP/1.1 "Hosts" header sent by the
client. Either make sure that "your" application is the default or that
it has aliases for all the names you care about.

Since you are referring to :5000, I guess you are using to the small
"paster" web server. Then you have to set host=0.0.0.0 in the .ini file.