Migrating Kallithea database to another database engine

Konstantin Veretennicov kveretennicov at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 16:43:40 UTC 2016

On Jun 13, 2016 14:50, "Mads Kiilerich" <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:

> On 06/11/2016 09:23 PM, Konstantin Veretennicov wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In light of recent performance troubles with our Kallithea
>> installation we consider migrating its database from SQLite to a more
>> server-friendly engine. What would be a good database-copying tool for
>> SQLAlchemy? So far https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sqlalchemygrate/ came
>> out of my searches.
>

> Yes, that is what is mentioned on
http://kallithea.readthedocs.io/en/0.3.1/usage/performance.html . I haven't
tried it and it would be good to gather a bit more information about pros
and cons and howto.

Thanks. Turned out that Jenkins SCM polling was responsible for overloading
Kallithea. We were able to fix it today by switching to hook-based "push
notifications".

We may still have to migrate away from SQLite later, but it doesn't seem
necessary at the moment.

--
Konstantin

> Generally, we don't use fancy database features and I think it would be
quite easy to massage a sql dump from one dialect to another - combined
with creating a new empty database and make a data-only import into it.
(This might also be an outcome of the alembic thing Soren is working on.)