Turbogears2 migration: paging failures in changelog

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Tue Jul 19 21:16:37 UTC 2016

On 07/19/2016 10:22 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> Thanks to these detailed instructions, I was able to determine the
> difference. I was testing with test.ini, not with development.ini, the
> major difference between both is that debug mode (set debug = X) is
> set to true in development.ini, but to false in test.ini. Under
> Pylons, 'set debug' purely controls interactive debugging in the
> browser. When false, the traceback is shown on the console. When true,
> it is shown in the browser.
> Under Turbogears (at least in the current interaction with it), 'set
> debug = false' does not even show a traceback on the console. With
> 'set debug = true', the traceback is always shown on the console. If
> 'backlash' is installed, the interactive debugging is also enabled in
> the browser.
>
> Alessandro, is it intentional that no traceback is shown on the
> console with 'set debug = false' ? I did not find references to that
> in the documentation.

I don't like the interactive debugging and haven't really used it ...
and thus I don't really know it. But I guess it has good usecases.

If using it, I think it makes sense that the tracebacks *not* are shown
in the server log (or sent in error mails). But if the interactive mode
depends on 'backlash', then it sounds like a bug that it doesn't fall
back to the standard behaviour if it isn't installed.

With debug=false, will tg / kallithea-tg also not send mails with
stacktraces? I have found that very convenient for fixing productions.

I don't know if it makes sense that backlash is a mandatory dependency
or not. It is probably better to not have it installed on production
systems.

> Slightly related: looking at the tg2example development.ini file,
> there is just one 'debug' setting under the [DEFAULT] section.
> In Kallithea, in development.ini, there is a 'debug = true', 'pdebug =
> false' under [DEFAULT] and 'set debug = true' under '[app:main]'. What
> do each of these settings control? Should one or more of them be
> removed? Is there a difference between Pylons and Turbogears2 here?

I looked at this debug flags (with Pylons) some weeks ago (when trying
to figure out when and why we are logging sql statements). It is
confusing. It seems like 'set' is needed to overrule a previous setting
... or something like that.