Implementing wiki feature in Kallithea, Pylons or Turbogears?

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:29:36 UTC 2016

Hi Zoltan,

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Zoltan Gyarmati
<mr.zoltan.gyarmati at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> i had an attempt to add wiki functionality to Kallithea back in February
> (and actually once even earlier), see my fork at [1], which (due to lack
> of time) is abandoned since then, but i think/hope i could dedicate some
> time to it in the next weeks/months.
>
> As i see now there is an ongoing attempt to migrate Kallithea to use
> Turbogears2 instead of Pylons, and as i see from the recent status
> report the migration is going pretty well, but so far i failed to find
> any roadmap about mainlining the migration. Is there such a roadmap yet?

There is no explicit roadmap, it is very hard to make time lines based
on volunteer time.
As you have seen in the status mail, the test suite is almost fine
except for mainly the API tests (which fail because API support is not
working at all; I hope that if that API issue is fixed there will be
few new test failures).

There are some other loose ends that need to be fixed before
mainlining, for example the setup code (to create a new installation),
GPL headers that are missing, ... See also
https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/wiki/Turbogears2Migration

>  On which version is better to start to add a new feature such as wiki
> support? Does the https://bitbucket.org/_amol_/kallithea-tg repo would
> accept PR-s related to this, or better to wait till the turbogears
> migration is fully merged?

I looked at your code and it looks there are few real dependencies on
the underlying web framework currently. This means you could continue
on the Pylons version for now, and convert to Turbogears2 when it is
mainlined. I hope we can mainline 'soon'.

While it is possible to base yourself on kallithea-tg, that repo is
undergoing frequent rebases and thus the changesets are not at all
stable. You will be forced to rebase yourself. I think this is only
viable if you take a snapshot once and develop the wiki feature on top
of it, without trying to follow all further changes on that repo.
I don't think we should accept PRs for wiki features on the
kallithea-tg repo. We should make sure kallithea-tg is mainlined
first, and then merge your wiki changes (which can be developed in
parallel) on top.

Best regards,
Thomas