discourse instead of mailinglist?

Michael V. DePalatis mike at depalatis.net
Sun Aug 14 18:08:23 UTC 2016

Hi,

Just a humble user here, but here are my thoughts: a forum (such as
Discourse) can be a nice way of asking questions and getting quick
answers (as well as being useful for searching for answers to frequently
asked questions), but it is best as a supplement to, rather than a
replacement for, a mailing list. Some reasons that I personally prefer
mailing lists over forums include:

* No need to register another account which I may use infrequently but
still need to think about having a strong password anyway
* It requires more active thinking on my part to view messages: I have
to actively visit the forum. With a mailing list, I just have to check
my inbox.
* Mailing lists feel more personal: it's relatively easy to continue a
discussion privately by email directly. On forums, this maybe can be
done via private messaging, but then if it doesn't go directly to a
user's email inbox, it could go unnoticed for a while (see first two
points).
* Configurability: on most mailing lists, I can choose to receive a
digest of messages rather than getting them individually.

I would absolutely welcome a forum like Discourse for Kallithea. I just
hope I can continue to (at the very least) read about Kallithea's
development on the mailing list!

- Mike