discourse instead of mailinglist?

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Mon Aug 15 14:52:10 UTC 2016

On 08/14/2016 12:46 PM, Dominik Ruf wrote:
> since gmane ist practically dead I'd like to propose discourse as our
> discussion tool.

In my opinion:

I like mailing lists. It can be very efficient when people follow
"netiquette". I guess the main advantage is that it pops up in my main
"feed" and can be processed in my preferred mail reading tool and
offline. When used properly, with correct threading and quoting, mails
can be processed efficiently. In general, I will know for sure that I
processed everything and nothing was lost.

Gmane has always been dead to me. People who post through gmane tend to
not follow mailing list netiquette and impose a cost/overhead on those
who use the mailing list the way it was intended. For good and bad,
gmail seems to show otherwise nice mailing lists pretty much like gmane.

Mailman 3 should also have some "make it look more like a forum"
features ... but I haven't tried that.

I guess the really cool thing these days where "everybody" easily can
contribute would be to use facebook ... but I wouldn't know or care.

I think the main problem with google groups is not so much that it isn't
open source - more that it isn't open. It is pretty much a forum and
just not a good mailing list system.

Anyway: I don't see a problem to solve, and think discourse would be a
regression in how many of us use the mailing list. I haven't tried it,
though.