discourse instead of mailinglist?

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 18:29:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> On 08/14/2016 12:46 PM, Dominik Ruf wrote:
>>
>> since gmane ist practically dead I'd like to propose discourse as our
>> discussion tool.
>

> In my opinion:
>
> I like mailing lists. It can be very efficient when people follow
> "netiquette". I guess the main advantage is that it pops up in my main
> "feed" and can be processed in my preferred mail reading tool and offline.
> When used properly, with correct threading and quoting, mails can be
> processed efficiently. In general, I will know for sure that I processed
> everything and nothing was lost.
>
> Gmane has always been dead to me. People who post through gmane tend to not
> follow mailing list netiquette and impose a cost/overhead on those who use
> the mailing list the way it was intended. For good and bad, gmail seems to
> show otherwise nice mailing lists pretty much like gmane.
>
> Mailman 3 should also have some "make it look more like a forum" features
> ... but I haven't tried that.
>
> I guess the really cool thing these days where "everybody" easily can
> contribute would be to use facebook ... but I wouldn't know or care.
>
> I think the main problem with google groups is not so much that it isn't
> open source - more that it isn't open. It is pretty much a forum and just
> not a good mailing list system.
>
> Anyway: I don't see a problem to solve, and think discourse would be a
> regression in how many of us use the mailing list. I haven't tried it,
> though.

Discourse looks nice in some respects, but I also do not see the
problem with the mailing list.
Moreover, adding a second communication method means information would
be in multiple places which is not very nice.

I never liked web interfaces to mailing lists, like gmane. The gmail
interface is fine for me, I don't see how it 'breaks' mailing lists.
When I want to find back a full thread, after having found the thread
title through google, I use the standard mailman archive interface.

Never liked Google groups either.

/Thomas