Official Kallithea docker image

Long Vu long.vu at intelerad.com
Mon Mar 27 16:25:41 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Mads Kiilerich <mads at kiilerich.com> wrote:
> On 03/23/2017 11:53 PM, Dominik Ruf wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been using docker for a while now for my kallithea server and others
>> have also mentioned that they are using docker.
>> So what are the thoughts about creating an official docker image for
>> kallithea?
>

> I think most setups have "special" requirements. I thus don't think there
> can be one official docker image. But it would be great to have a collection
> of images that work for different cases - some simple, some with lots of
> configuration knobs.

I see the official docker one would the the "recommended" one with all
the best practices for performance and diagnosis and a set up that
open the door for the most integration with other tools in the stack
of the user.  And we can have other docker for other special case
setup.

Example I've been seeing posts in this list about how to troubleshoot
Kallithea performance and someone mentioned using uwsgi because it has
better performance stats but no mention about how it compares
performance wise to other deployment deployment.

Personally, I am using apache as a front proxy to paster process, no
celery, just because I am familiar with using apache as a front proxy
and it's just for evaluation for now, so performance is not my
priority.  I would very be interested in knowing what is the
recommended setup to maximize performance if I actually golive in
production with Kallithea.

So for me, having an "official" or "recommended" docker image is more
than just to provide an easy and reproducible way to deploy Kallithea,
it is also about recommending deployment best practices.

If Kallithea have deployment that is easy, performant, and easy to
reproduce to reproduce bugs, it will clearly help adoption.

> There might also be valid reasons to use something else than docker - for
> example openshift of script installation on physical/virtual hardware with
> salt or ansible ... and for running natively on macOS or Windows instead of
> Linux ... or different Linux brands and different databases and web servers
> and authentication and ...

Yes clearly not forgetting other configuration management tools and
other platforms.  Ansible can actually drive the Docker deployment.
At work we are not using Docker alone, but with Ansible.

On Linux, if Docker is available as a possibility, it is really great
for its reproducible nature that pretty much guaranty it'll just work.

The more "turn key" solutions we have, the better.  Let's start with
something and we'll grow the different solutions with time.