The future of this project

Andrew Shadura andrew at shadura.me
Tue Jun 13 10:30:24 UTC 2017

On 13/06/17 10:04, Marcin Kuźmiński wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Given the opportunity of this email thread, i'd like to pitch in the
> open-source version of RhodeCode CE again.
>
> - A fully functional, free AGPL v3.0 software
> - based on a modern web framework - Pyramid
> - we had almost 20 releases in last 12 months
> - introduced major features like Git LFS, Mercurial Evolve
> - per repo settings
> - web mergeable pull requests
> - integration framework
> - and many more
> - a quickly growing community use base we currently have over 170 people
> on our community slack channel.
>
> As a part of Management team i must admit that close sourcing the
> project was a big mistake, however, we learned our lesson, and bet on
> the new business model that is based on OpenSource Core and RhodeCode
> will have a CE free edition.
>
> We talked a bit about some co-operation, and i believe it's a good time
> to re-think this. I'll be blunt, i think that it doesn't look like there
> a sense of two such similar open-source projects to exist.
>
> I highly valued contribution from this community that was done into the
> RhodeCode codebase, i invite everyone again to join and have an
> influence on the tool you or your company is using regularly.
>
> Happy to chat about any options again, if someone is interested.

This is very nice of you Marcin, but honestly I'm struggling to imagine
how is going to work. Are you suggesting we abandon Kallithea and all
hard work we’ve done and just go help develop RhodeCode? Yes, there
seems to be a lot of development in RhodeCode, but is there really a big
community around it? From the Mercurial log it looks more like a single
person project (while certainly you do a lot of work!). What if
something happens to the company again?

I understand how you feel about the project you started, but I don't
think it is the best idea to join to projects by abandoning one
developed by the community. It would be much better if the company could
become a member of the community instead.

I'm not saying "no, we don't want to work with you", not at all. What
I'm saying if we want to work together, we need a better plan.

--
Cheers,
  Andrew