The future of this project

Dominik Ruf dominikruf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 14:26:58 UTC 2017

Andrew Shadura <andrew at shadura.me> schrieb am Di., 13. Juni 2017 um
12:30 Uhr:

> On 13/06/17 10:04, Marcin Kuźmiński wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Given the opportunity of this email thread, i'd like to pitch in the
> > open-source version of RhodeCode CE again.
> >
> > - A fully functional, free AGPL v3.0 software
> > - based on a modern web framework - Pyramid
> > - we had almost 20 releases in last 12 months
> > - introduced major features like Git LFS, Mercurial Evolve
> > - per repo settings
> > - web mergeable pull requests
> > - integration framework
> > - and many more
> > - a quickly growing community use base we currently have over 170 people
> > on our community slack channel.
> >
> > As a part of Management team i must admit that close sourcing the
> > project was a big mistake, however, we learned our lesson, and bet on
> > the new business model that is based on OpenSource Core and RhodeCode
> > will have a CE free edition.
> >
> > We talked a bit about some co-operation, and i believe it's a good time
> > to re-think this. I'll be blunt, i think that it doesn't look like there
> > a sense of two such similar open-source projects to exist.
> >
> > I highly valued contribution from this community that was done into the
> > RhodeCode codebase, i invite everyone again to join and have an
> > influence on the tool you or your company is using regularly.
> >
> > Happy to chat about any options again, if someone is interested.
>
> This is very nice of you Marcin, but honestly I'm struggling to imagine
> how is going to work. Are you suggesting we abandon Kallithea and all
> hard work we’ve done and just go help develop RhodeCode? Yes, there
> seems to be a lot of development in RhodeCode, but is there really a big
> community around it? From the Mercurial log it looks more like a single
> person project (while certainly you do a lot of work!). What if
> something happens to the company again?

I for one am actually considering going back to RhodeCode. I already
thought about this before Marcin answered to the mail. But it is a big step
and I have not made up my mind yet. I'll have to take a closer look a the
current state of the RhodeCode project.

Sure it hurts to give up all the work, but like I already said I done feel
like we have accomplished that much. So there is not that much that will
actually be lost (except my pride).