Celery compatibility with windows

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 17:44:05 UTC 2017

> Hi all,
>
> while working on
> https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/pull-requests/357
> I noticed, that even though the PR fixes the broken celery functionality on
> linux,
> it still does not work on windows. I'm not even sure it can be fixed on
> windows.

With Pylons+Celery3 things still worked on Windows, and with
TurboGears2+Celery3 it no longer works, even with your fixes, is that
correct?

Can you describe the problem you see on Windows? Why do you think it
could maybe not be solvable?
I would assume that if Celery3 is supposed to work on Windows, and it
has worked for us with Pylons, then it is also possible to make it
work with TG2. If needed, we can request support or changes from
Alessandro Molina.

> And Celery 4 officially dropped windows support
> http://docs.celeryproject.org/en/latest/whatsnew-4.0.html#removed-features
>
> So this raises the question, do we want to
> a) drop windows support as well
> b) switch to something different (maybe twisted)
> c) try to fix it on windows and stay on celery 3 (for ever!?)

I would start with c) up to the point where we are blocked and cannot
resolve it.

a) would mean to drop support for task offloading on Windows, not
fully dropping Windows support of Kallithea, right?

b) could also be an option, but I have no experience with any of the
alternatives.

Best regards,
Thomas