Celery compatibility with windows

Dominik Ruf dominikruf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 18:23:05 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017, 19:44 Thomas De Schampheleire <
patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > while working on
> > https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/pull-requests/357
> > I noticed, that even though the PR fixes the broken celery functionality
> on
> > linux,
> > it still does not work on windows. I'm not even sure it can be fixed on
> > windows.
>
> With Pylons+Celery3 things still worked on Windows, and

I have to (re-)check that. I'm not sure anymore.

>  with
> TurboGears2+Celery3 it no longer works, even with your fixes, is that
> correct?

Yes

> Can you describe the problem you see on Windows?

The tasks do not get registered.

> Why do you think it
> could maybe not be solvable?

It seems to be related on how the worker processes are forked. But that is
an early guess.

> I would assume that if Celery3 is supposed to work on Windows, and it
> has worked for us with Pylons, then it is also possible to make it
> work with TG2. If needed, we can request support or changes from
> Alessandro Molina.
>
> > And Celery 4 officially dropped windows support
> >
> http://docs.celeryproject.org/en/latest/whatsnew-4.0.html#removed-features

What about this part?

> > So this raises the question, do we want to
> > a) drop windows support as well
> > b) switch to something different (maybe twisted)
> > c) try to fix it on windows and stay on celery 3 (for ever!?)
>
> I would start with c) up to the point where we are blocked and cannot
> resolve it.
>
> a) would mean to drop support for task offloading on Windows, not
> fully dropping Windows support of Kallithea, right?

Right. But I thing a fairly big kallithea installation needs celery.