Celery compatibility with windows

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 18:44:38 UTC 2017

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017, 19:44 Thomas De Schampheleire
> <patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > while working on
>> > https://bitbucket.org/conservancy/kallithea/pull-requests/357
>> > I noticed, that even though the PR fixes the broken celery functionality
>> > on
>> > linux,
>> > it still does not work on windows. I'm not even sure it can be fixed on
>> > windows.
>>
>> With Pylons+Celery3 things still worked on Windows, and
>
> I have to (re-)check that. I'm not sure anymore.
>>
>>  with
>> TurboGears2+Celery3 it no longer works, even with your fixes, is that
>> correct?
>
> Yes
>>

>> Can you describe the problem you see on Windows?
>
> The tasks do not get registered.
>>
>> Why do you think it
>> could maybe not be solvable?
>
> It seems to be related on how the worker processes are forked. But that is
> an early guess.
>>
>> I would assume that if Celery3 is supposed to work on Windows, and it
>> has worked for us with Pylons, then it is also possible to make it
>> work with TG2. If needed, we can request support or changes from
>> Alessandro Molina.
>>
>> > And Celery 4 officially dropped windows support
>> >
>> > http://docs.celeryproject.org/en/latest/whatsnew-4.0.html#removed-features
>> >

> What about this part?

So their statement is: "The test suite is passing, and Celery seems to
be working with Windows, but we make no guarantees".

Celery 4 claims to have solved a 'massive list of bugs' compared to
Celery 3, so we should actually try to upgrade, although this then may
mean future failures on Windows.

I personally don't care about Windows, but I think we do have Windows
users judging from some of the past issues regarding installation on
Windows / IIS.