Integrating npm front-end with Kallithea

Adi Kriegisch adi at cg.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Nov 8 14:00:11 UTC 2017

Hi!

Although I never directly contributed, I strongly support Andrew's suggestion.

> What is your concern and over-all goal? That we only use Python tools
> and only have dependencies from pypi, and thus either vendor all
> external dependencies or find them as source packages on pypi so we can
> build it with python tooling at install time?
To me it is not so much about being python only but rather avoid the chaos
node and npm actually is.
Being forced to use node makes packaging for distributions harder and thus
deployment too. Furthermore, Kallithea aims to be core infrastructure for
environments that value the code they write. Thus, people using Kallithea may
prefer to not use throw-away stuff like docker or node to run their core
infrastructure.

-- Adi