Integrating npm front-end with Kallithea

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Sun Nov 12 20:35:47 UTC 2017

On 11/08/2017 03:00 PM, Adi Kriegisch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Although I never directly contributed, I strongly support Andrew's suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback!

>> What is your concern and over-all goal? That we only use Python tools
>> and only have dependencies from pypi, and thus either vendor all
>> external dependencies or find them as source packages on pypi so we can
>> build it with python tooling at install time?
> To me it is not so much about being python only but rather avoid the chaos
> node and npm actually is.

Can you be more specific? Is it more chaotic than the pypi chaos?

> Being forced to use node makes packaging for distributions harder and thus
> deployment too.

Sure. But proper packaging for distributions also doesn't like
vendoring. The person doing the packaging will have to take embedded
source and split it out in separate reusable packages.

> Furthermore, Kallithea aims to be core infrastructure for
> environments that value the code they write. Thus, people using Kallithea may
> prefer to not use throw-away stuff like docker or node to run their core
> infrastructure.

Sure. But npm also works fine on real machines without docker. Packages
are installed inside the mode_modules directory. I thus don't see the
relevance of throw-away or docker.

While everybody might have opinions about what they like and different
amounts of experience, why would it be perceived as bad to use node
through npm at build/install time?