Pull / push locking - does it have any happy users, or can we drop it?

Long Vu long.vu at intelerad.com
Tue Jan 8 16:05:06 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 4:46 AM Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin at gmail.com> wrote:

> El dom., 6 ene. 2019 a las 13:49, Mads Kiilerich
> (<mads at kiilerich.com>) escribió:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Kallithea has some inherited "locking" functionality. Something where a
> > "pull" from the repository will lock it, so nobody else can push until
> > the user that pulled has pushed again.
> >
> > There are good use cases for file locking - especially if tracking
> > unmergeable files like binary assets. But the current Kallithea doesn't
> > seem like a good way to do it:
> >
> > Locking of the whole repository is too coarse, and triggering it as a
> > side effect of pull/push makes the work flows fragile and inflexible.
> >
> > More important for me right now: The implementation is hard to maintain
> > and also makes it harder to maintain other parts. It is quite invasive
> > and fragile and seems buggy ... and is hard to clean up and fix.
> >
> > I would thus prefer to drop the existing locking functionality. I think
> > Kallithea would be better without it. If we want something in this
> > direction, I think it would be easier to start from scratch than to
> > maintain and evolve what we have now. Any needs for "locking" is
> > probably currently better solved by adjusting access control or making
> > custom hooks.
> >
> > Are there any happy users of the current locking functionality that
> > would miss it? Can you say more about the use case and how will it works?

At work we have a rather large repo with many active branches.  We are
about 50ish dev committing to the same repo.

Giving the number of active commit users, that locking feature would
have been useful if it can lock only 1 single branch, time to
stabilize it if need be.

But locking the entire repo is way too invasive and disruptive.

So I'd say drop the current repo wide locking feature unless it can
lock only 1 single or a list of branches but not the entire repo wide
like this.

--
Long Vu | Software Developer, Tools & Infrastructure | Intelerad |
+1-514-931-6222 ext. 7743

--

This email or any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information intended for the sole use of the addressees. Any